Sling TV has announced this week that their subscribers who use Roku devices will have access to DVR services, right in the cloud.
“Unlike other OTT services, we’re delivering a true cloud DVR with no 28-day restriction on your recordings, marking another win for Sling TV and our customers,” said Roger Lynch, CEO of Sling TV. “Two years ago we became the first live OTT provider, and we continue to innovate and bring the best experience to our customers.”
- Availability – Cloud DVR will be available across all Roku devices to beta customers who subscribe to the single-stream service, Sling Orange, and/or the multi-stream service, Sling Blue.
- Entertainment on your time – Record movies, episodes or full series, with the ability to pause, rewind or fast-forward recorded content. DVR functionality not available on all channels.
- Conflict-free recording – Users may record multiple programs simultaneously, with no recording conflicts.
- Easy access – DVR content is integrated directly into Sling TV’s “My TV” screen for immediate access to recordings.
- Simple space management – Sling TV automatically manages DVR space to make room for new recordings by deleting the oldest ‘watched’ recording when capacity is full.
- More features to come – Sling TV will continue to evolve the cloud DVR throughout the beta time period based on customer feedback and usage behavior. DVR features planned for future development include the ability to upgrade storage space and protect recordings.
While not yet on Apple TV and other devices, it does sound as if Sling TV is preparing to expand this new DVR offering across multiple devices.
Sling TV provides live television streaming at a cost traditionally lower than cable television packages. Ranging from $20-40 a month plus potential add-ons, the service has been one of the first to offer live streaming of sports like the NFL, through ESPN, RedZone and NFL Network. This will be great for folks hoping to record live games without having a cable subscription/DVR combo.
Related: What is Sling TV?